Sunday 2 April 2017

Potato planting time

Yes today's the day, as you can see these early seed potatoes are ready to go in. 
They have short stubby shoots that are dark in colour so perfect for planting.
I dug a trench, put a few fork fulls of well rotted manure in the bottom and placed each potato, shoots upwards, about 12" (30cm) apart. I also added a few handfulls of chicken manure pellets to the soil that I raked back over the trench.
So that's 2 rows of  'Winston', 1st early and 3 rows of 'Charlotte', 2nd early planted. 
Hopefully in about 10-12 weeks we will be digging some up. 
Next month I'll be planting the main crops, I have Picasso & Cara this year.
The Stockbridge Arrow Rhubarb is getting bigger, won't be long now for first harvest.


Thanks for reading/returning. Ian & Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment